It is Montessori Europe’s mission to be a hub for Montessori education in Europe. Montessori Europe organizes networking, collaboration, exchange, mutual support and wants to create synergy and to increase motivation.
Ongoing membership in Montessori Europe (ME) is seen as an important means to strengthen the ties between Montessori professionals working in Europe.
In the first years of the 21st century various initiatives to found a European Montessori Movement were started. These led to the official foundation of Montessori Europe in 2003. In 2002 the goals and task of Montessori Europe had already been established.
Montessori Europe was set up as an organization ‘to enable and encourage Montessori pedagogy at political, social and educational levels throughout Europe’.
The main tasks and goals of Montessori Europe were formulated as follows:
1. Development of educational-political positions and statements and their representation throughout Europe, as well as supporting the UN Convention for Children’s Rights and the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.
2. Promotion of a network of Montessori organizations and Montessori establishments in Europe.
3. Promotion of co-operation and the unlimited exchange of experiences for pedagogues, pupils, and parents.
4. Encouraging the provision of Montessori education for all children and young people, regardless of ability or circumstances.
5. Co-operation with international organizations of similar aims such as AMI, AMS, EFFE.
6. Establishment of guidelines for mutually agreed standards and quality assurance in Montessori training institutions and schools.
These tasks and goals still stand. The current board has paid special attention to the network function of Montessori Europe.
In 2014 the Executive Committee of ME (now: the board) published a 60 pages long document entitled ‘Our work’. It contains an overview of the first fourteen years of ME’s activities, not just historically, but also with an eye to the future. Click here to read the document. Here you can find a short article on the founding of ME.