2 Feb Revisiting Practical life: its Meaning and Value- Webinar
Practical life activities lay the foundation to our work with young children and are at the heart of Montessori pedagogy. Hannah Baynham will challenge us to consider their relevance in context of cosmic education. By moving beyond the important skill-base offered by these activities, Hannah will consider the indirect aims in relation to interdependence, responsibility and care and global citizenship.
4 Feb 18.00 (CET): What Defines a Montessori School?
The Montessori Europe Research Group will host a webinar in which Jaap de Brouwer and Patrick Sins present the outcomes of their research with total 449 Dutch Montessori teachers from 96 Montessori schools who completed a questionnaire about their Montessori provision. The questionnaire focuses on the organisational structure, the curriculum and freedom. During the Dublin congress we also invited Montessori schools across Europe to participate in this research and over 200 teachers have already done so.
This webinar will:
– discuss the study in more depth considering its significance in measuring Montessori implementation
– show some the initial results of our European sample
– present, discuss and review our idea for transforming the questionnaire into an observation tool for Montessori and provide a tool for self-reflection.
– collaboratively reflect on the question of how we would like to define and enhance our Montessori practice
9 Feb 19.00 (CET): MERGe Working Group Meeting
The aim of this first, open meeting of MERGe is to relaunch the activity of this group. The main agenda points include:
- Discussing ideas for a series of MERGe webinars presenting research results to the Montessori Community
- Update on the proposal for a book on observation
- Announcement of a collaborative paper in progress on Montessori in Higher Education
- Brainstorming on bridging the academic world and Montessori practitioners
27 Feb Sustainability day
Save the Date! Details to follow shortly.
2 March Mirrors and Windows – Webinar
Montessori education provides many opportunities for offering children mirrors to see themselves and also windows beyond their classrooms to the wider world. This analogy used in context of children’s literature in the work of Dr Rudine Sims Bishop has come to have a new meaning in our recent discussions. This will be an opportunity to revisit our practice and reflect on the effectiveness of the opportunities we provide for each child in our classrooms to see themselves and their community and to also see communities beyond their classrooms. Three short presentations linking with the planes of development will be given prior participants discussion. Register here.
21 – 22 May Montessori Europe Congress 2021 – Prague
Montessori Europe’s mission is to create a network of Montessori educators, schools and school leaders in Europe and beyond, offering a platform for collaboration and the exchange of ideas, providing support, creating synergies and increasing motivation.
- A programme of online webinars, offering monthly opportunities to connect and challenge your practice with the opportunity to request a certificate of attendance
- Discounted registration fee for our annual Congress
- The opportunity to join Montessori Europe Working Groups
- Voting privileges in the election of the Montessori Europe Board of Directors
Launching over the next few months:
- Forums on our redeveloped website, where members with shared interests can connect to discuss and explore issues of common concern.
- Access to resources
- An expanded programme for national organisations, secondary educators and researchers, providing platforms for these groups to connect and support one another
If you would like to receive the ME newsletter click here for the Newsletter sign up